Post and Rail Fencing
Post and rail fencing comes in many different forms, and often include wire such as barbed wire and/or stock netting. The stakes can be pointed round, pointed half-round and square.
The design choices of an effective and correct stock-proof post and rail fence are foremost influenced by the desired function of the fence, and less important are the aesthetics of the form. For example; a half round rail is far stronger than a square sawn rail, so if you have some powerful frisky horses to keep safe and contain, half round rails are, in our opinion the best option.
Standard Stock-Proof Post and Rail Fencing
The most common and universal Stock-Proof Post and Rail Fencing design is made up with round stakes, half round rails and often standard stock netting.
- A typical post and rail fence uses the following measurements and sizes;
- Round Stakes – 6ft long and 3/4 inches by diameter and spaced 6ft apart
- Half Round Rails – 12ft long and 4 inches wide
- The number of rails really depends on whether or not the fence requires netting, but is usually 3 or 4 rails.
- Using stock netting in addition to rails of course makes the fence more universal and better suited for various different types of animals, such as horses and sheep for example.
Well done guys! Excellent job!!! I really can’t praise you enough, and what a tidy job you did.
Really happy with the lovely fence you have created for us, and we’d like to thank you for your hard work.
Geoff has put numerous stock fences up for us and his work is always first class. We’d happily recommend Chariot Fencing to anyone looking for a professional fencer.
Rustic Paddock Fencing
To create a very attractive, rustic looking post and rail fence which appeals to those who would like a more natural, retro and rustic look to their fence. Comprising of morticed vertical posts, and sawn horizontal rails inserted into each post using a mortice joint. This fence comes with either three or four mortices (rails). Vertical posts can be round, half round and even square posts.